Annual HIMSS Greater Illinois Chapter Scholarship Program
One award will be granted to an undergraduate student, and the other will be granted to a graduate or post-graduate student.
Eligible students should complete the following steps by midnight U.S. Central Standard Time on Thursday, November 30, 2023.
- Combine the following documents in a single PDF:
- A most recent transcript(s) indicating a Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of recommendation from superiors for whom the candidate has worked with and/or college professors with whom the candidate has studied under.
- A short essay (500 - 750 words, double-spaced) that addresses both of these questions:
- What is a major issue facing the health industry and how can information technology address the issue?
- How do you envision your role in Healthcare Information Technology in the future?
- Complete the online program application, save a copy and attach it as a PDF along with your transcripts, letters of recommendation, and essay.
The application is open to students who meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in a Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) related undergraduate, master's or post-graduate degree program at an accredited college or university (certificate programs are not eligible for award)
- Scholarships will be offered to students in the following types of programs:
- Health information management/technology
- Health management, with a focus in information management/technology
- Clinical programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Health science programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Business management programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Management science programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Other types of degree programs which emphasize health information management/technology
- Reside in Illinois within GIC HIMSS chapter boundaries
- Have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0
- Have completed at least one quarter or semester in their HIT-related degree program.
A panel of GIC HIMSS members will evaluate each candidate according to these criteria:
Meets grade point criterion
- Quality of recommendations
- Provides specific examples of the candidate’s distinctive qualities, attributes, and potential
- Provides examples of the candidate’s professional and academic growth
- Quality of candidate’s essay
- Answers both questions with insightful reasoning, persuasive examples, and a unique perspective
Award Recognition and Conditions
Scholarship recipients will be formally recognized at the Career Development Event in Spring 2024, on the GIC HIMSS website, in newsletters, and during other in-person or virtual events.
Scholarship recipients are required to serve as a volunteer on the GIC HIMSS Professional Development Committee from January – December 2024. Meetings are held monthly via conference call.
- September 1, 2023 - Application opens
- November 13, 2023 - Applications due at Midnight U.S. Central
- December 2023 - Application review and recipients selected
- December 18, 2023 - GIC HIMSS Board approves scholarship winners
- January 2024 - Award recipients and candidates are notified by email/phone call.
Please direct questions about the scholarship application process to Kaela Redd, Student Liaison, or the GIC HIMSS Professional Development Committee